Saturday, December 2, 2023

A Steak, Green Beans, and Mashed Potatoes

Enjoying the leftovers today at home!

   
   As the saying goes, "The third time's the charm!" Sweet Bill had made reservations three times for us to celebrate our 25th and 26th wedding anniversaries together. We hardly acknowledged the 25th last year, perhaps the most difficult year of my physical challenges, which of course impacted both of us greatly. Years before, I'm sure we had imagined some grand travel experience to mark the milestone, but thanks to Bible and Christ-centered brain rewiring, we had every hope of marking the occasion in some less grandiose, yet special way this year. 

      Bill made reservations at a nearby restaurant we had been wanting to try for at least 5 years. Our friends had been raving about the quality of the food, and it was only a half-hour from home-- perfect! The first two attempts, my body simply refused. Last night, the third try-- SUCCESS!!! I rested all day, stayed calm even though excited, and finally visualized the whole evening, from getting dressed, to driving to the quaint nearby town, to sitting down, ordering, and eating. Even though I still had no appetite, I pictured a mouthwatering meal of juicy steak, crispy sauteed green beans, and buttery mashed potatoes with bits of red skin and lumps, just the way I liked them. 

      I can't say I was without anxiety, as I felt a bit of internal pressure to enjoy this new experience. I even entertained a fleeting thought of canceling one more time, but I immediately rejected the idea with a favorite Bible verse and hymn (Philippians 4:13 and "Leaning On the Everlasting Arms"). As I bathed and dressed, and even curled my hair and dusted on a bit of makeup, I reminded myself that taking the first step, and then one after another, was all that was required to get me to my goal. 

      Departure time came, and I took a few calming breaths, got in the car shaky but smiling, and sang a praise song or two on the way. Many of the darling Victorians of Mount Pleasant were already adorned for Christmas with colorful twinkling lights, and I relaxed more and more the closer we got. On this foggy, damp night we found the perfect parking spot right outside the rear entrance, and I drew in another deep breath with a smile. Though I had brought my trusty walking sticks for security, on a whim and with my determined head held high, I emerged from the car and told Bill, "I'm walking in on your strong arm and I'll be fine!" And so it was. 

     We were seated in a beautiful room of gleaming wood, shining windows, and a stone fireplace, made all the more cheery by a lighted Christmas tree and some nostalgic decorations. Our server quickly brought us heavy leather menus, but I was in no hurry to open mine. I just kept smiling across the table at Bill, saying "We did it! We're really here, and it's perfect!" After relishing simply being in a new and interesting public place, of course I did soon open my menu, and it only took seconds for my eyes to fall on the top of the page, which read "Mt. Pleasant Sirloin." Across the page, as if lit with a beam from heaven, I read the list of "Sides:" sauteed green beans and mashed red skin potatoes were the first two! I nearly wept as I explained to Bill, almost breathless, about my visualization. And believe me, the reality of the food was delicious far beyond my imagining. I don't know how many times during our meal I repeated my declaration: I am happy and healthy, calm and strong, a beloved, RADIANT daughter of the King!"

     Needless to say, I beamed in competition with the Christmas lights the rest of the evening, and I'm still smiling this morning. Some call these "God winks;" others will say it's mere coincidence. I KNOW this meal was my God assuring me of the truth of my declaration, and this blog is my humble way of thanking Him, and hopefully encouraging someone else on this up and down, twisting, wonderful journey of life! 


"Delight thyself also in the Lord: and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."
(Psalm 37:4 KJV)


 "He must increase and I must decrease."
John 3:30
 ✝️






12 comments:

  1. Hooray for Declarations 📜

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Charlanne! Keep leaning on those strong arms! 🌹

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful!! He hears and he answers. I am so full of joy knowing this was such an awesome night for you and Bill.
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how wonderful!! You made it out with your husband of 25,26 years!! I love your glow compared to the Christmas tree lights. You so much deserved this beautiful celebration and special date with your Bill!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!! Keep Leaning On The Everlasting Arm! What a good FATHER we have? To Him Be All Glory!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cannot begin to tell you how much this meant to me. My day was getting sons to the lawyer for their important work of wills, power of attorney, HEPPA, etc . It went so well, I’m still in a state of disbelief. This tells me that I should rely on my Lord
    me something I don’t do often enough, Not my will but Thine be done. All things are possible in those who trust in the Lord!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you and Amen, dear Marilyn! You are in our thoughts and prayers constantly!

      Delete

Seeds of Grace

      In twenty-seven years at this house, I've never planted either sunflowers or zinnias. The two photos above were taken ...