Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Purpose


      Tap, flutter, flutter, flutter... tap, flutter, flutter, flutter...  tap, flutter, flutter.... It took me days to discern exactly what that unfamiliar yet nearly constant sound was. At last I looked up from my chair toward the branches of the river birch which gloriously shades our front windows. And there it was: a flash and flutter of brilliant red against the emerald leaves. It took Bill's bird book to figure out we were observing a summer tanager doing what they do: this faithful male was collecting bugs that had gathered on our windows to feed himself and his family. The sound quickly became so familiar that we missed it during his brief breaks, and especially when he left us for warmer climes over the winter. But he's back now with his tapping and fluttering and an occasional soft "pit-tick."  


      That bird knows his purpose-- to care for his family-- and he carries it out faithfully without complaint. He has no idea how much delight, comfort, and inspiration he's giving me just by doing his job, what he was created for, hour after hour, day after day. I don't think he longs for adventure or even some greater "assignment." I think of our healthcare workers and first responders who carry out their duties without notice or acclaim, even and more so during this pandemic. Those certainly aren't glamorous jobs, and yet, like that bird, they inspire me-- to be a more faithful servant, without complaint (There's the hard part!), without adulation. 

      We received a graduation announcement this morning, from a sweet high school friend who had no prom and no graduation ceremony, no "Pomp and Circumstance." And yet she fulfilled this mission of her young life: she graduated from high school, and will be on to her next assignment in spite of the strange conclusion of her senior year. And after all the happy and hopeful pictures, at the very bottom, this graduate had chosen to place the following Scripture:

       "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."  (Joshua 1:9 NIV)  

   Now that's inspiring! 

Carolina Bird Club photo

   
   
      Lord, forgive me for wanting some greater purpose, some grander recognition on this earth; for what could be grander than fulfilling YOUR purpose for me in a manner pleasing to you? And what more could I need than fellowship with You to fulfill my purpose humbly, yet courageously? I love You, Lord Jesus, and that's all I need!

"He must increase, but I must decrease"  (John 3:30)

 


2 comments:

Seeds of Grace

      In twenty-seven years at this house, I've never planted either sunflowers or zinnias. The two photos above were taken ...