Friday, May 22, 2020

Golden Bowls

 

  I hope you'll allow me a very personal moment here, though my prayer is always that this space will encourage you. Last week I did something which three years ago would have been no big deal at all, just lots of fun: I invited my family to gather for Sunday lunch at the lake. I LOVE entertaining and have missed it so! I enjoy preparing the food, making a beautiful setting, and most of all anticipating joyful fellowship with loved ones. I was determined to celebrate a belated Easter, Mother's Day, and a modicum of freedom after months of quarantine.

      I had planned this for a couple of weeks, and with Bill doing all the legwork, had gathered ingredients and little by little prepared the food. Going to the lake a couple of days before in order to make final preparations, I had to rein in my thoughts of having a spotless house, with the perfect decor and festive plates and napkins set out artistically, for I knew my limited energy would be required for the food preparation. Even so, Saturday came and I was in such pain that I had to call Bill to come and help with the set-up. I confess, I spent more than a few moments mourning the loss of my ability to "do it all myself." But then I reminded myself that two years ago I could hardly get out of bed, much less think of staying alone at the lake or standing in the kitchen long enough to prepare a meal. 

      Asking Bill to make an extra trip over was challenging enough to my independent spirit, even though he graciously came and did all I asked and more. After he left for home and I sat praying for strength and even momentary release from pain, I did something even more difficult for me: I sent a quick text to Bill, Margie, and Linda (my closest prayer warriors) asking them to pray specifically for me to have a good day Sunday. I really wanted to enjoy my family "just one more time" like we have done so many times before. I quickly felt an inexplicable peace, through my pain and weakness. I stopped worrying about how I would finish putting out the food and even sit at the table to eat. I had a wonderful sleep Saturday night, and woke up fairly strong Sunday morning. Pain lingered, and no small amount of anxiety-- or was it excitement? 

      Then Bill came back offering last-minute assistance, and soon my grandchildren were bursting through the door with squeals and hugs. Suddenly all pain fled and I found myself feeling "almost normal" as we stood (impossible for me even a year ago!) in a circle and held hands to give thanks for our food and our time together. I sat with the whole family for lunch at the table in the sunshine on the deck, rather than eating on my lap in my recliner while I listened to the laughter outside. I followed the kids to the water's edge to watch them fishing, and then presented them with Easter treats while sitting in the floor and helping them discover the surprises I had hidden in their eggs. As everyone left and I settled in my chair with a huge smile on my face, I raised my hands and my heart in praise to my "Good, Good Father"!

      And then I remembered the golden bowls. In our Revelation study a couple of weeks ago we looked at Chapter 5, in which the Lamb takes the scroll, and


           "When He took the scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb. Each one had a harp and golden bowls filled with incense, which are the prayers of the saints."  (Revelation 5:8 CSB)

      Think on that, my friend! Your prayers and mine, along with all the prayers that have been prayed throughout time, are being held in golden bowls before the throne of God! They are never forgotten; they don't slip by unnoticed. They are even now in God's throne room, held in bowls of the world's most precious material, ready to be poured out to glorify the One Who died that we might live! 

      Take heart: I have prayed many prayers that have not yet been answered, or have not been answered in the way I hoped. I know many of you continue to pray for my healing, as I have done for many of you; it's not happening instantly, but it IS happening. Sunday was one of the immediately-answered prayers. I dare say you have had both delayed and immediate response to prayers, as I have. But know this: not one of your prayers, proffered from a sincere and believing heart, has been missed. And when its answer comes, to God be the glory!

"Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is very powerful in its effect."  (James 5:16 CSB)





No comments:

Post a Comment

Seeds of Grace

      In twenty-seven years at this house, I've never planted either sunflowers or zinnias. The two photos above were taken ...