Friday, October 4, 2019

Coincidence -- God's Incidence

      My wonderful Physical Therapist, Dr. Pilakel, loves to say, "It's not coincidence, it's God's Incidence!" My favorite Psalm, Psalm 139, Verse 16b (CSB) puts it this way: "all my days were written in Your book and planned [italics mine] before a single one of them began."   Let me tell you about one of my most amazing experiences of God's incidence.

      Most of my adult life I have struggled with a burden of guilt for my past mistakes, knowing in my head that I have been forgiven by the accepting the gift of Jesus' precious blood sacrifice, yet having trouble forgiving myself. In January of the year I turned 70, I decided to focus my daily prayer and Bible study on accepting this forgiveness, starting each day by repeating a portion of Isaiah 61:10, which says, "I rejoice greatly in the Lord, I exult in my God; for He has clothed me with the garments of salvation and wrapped me in a robe of righteousness, ...." I shared my special verse with no one, not even Bill, but I could slowly feel the assurance making that "longest journey" from my head to my heart as my birthday neared.

      That day in June, my loved ones gathered around me at the lake, as we enjoyed sharing a casual meal and most of all each other's company. I confess, there's enough child in me still that I eagerly anticipated opening presents, even though Heaven knows I didn't need anything beyond the sweet fellowship. Of course, my grandkids handed me their package first, and I could hardly speak when I pulled out the most beautiful, soft peach shawl, similar to one I had admired on my sweet (and thoughtful) daughter-in-law. But that was only the beginning.

      Next came a bag from my "sister-friend" Linda, who is truly more sister than friend. I reached into the perfectly-stuffed tissue paper to pull out a gossamer wrap displaying a lovely blue butterfly all across the back. My mouth fell open and I sputtered some sort of "ooooh" or "aaaaah" and just shook my head. 

      Finally my "sister-cousin" Margie, who is truly like the other half of me, made me close my eyes and stretch out on the couch. I was curious, but complied, like a 70-year-old  "good little girl." I began to feel her tucking something cuddly around my legs, and I couldn't wait any longer to open my eyes. I gasped, and the tears came, when I saw an amazing "mermaid tail" coverlet, lovingly crocheted in my favorite aquamarine colors! 

      I can't even remember (I hope so!) if I shared with the group then the verse I had been setting my heart on for the previous six months, but I could hardly sleep that night for marveling at God's grace in sending me such tangible affirmations of His "garments of salvation and ... robe of righteousness." And six months later, at Christmastime, just in case I had forgotten, back at the lake house I gleefully opened an unexpected gift from my niece in California, and -- of course you guessed it -- it contained an exquisite hand-knitted shawl to warm me through the winter months! 

      My friend, I tell you this: I am NOT special, that is any more than each one of you reading this. God loves YOU this much! Remember Luke 12:7 (NIV): "Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Seeds of Grace

      In twenty-seven years at this house, I've never planted either sunflowers or zinnias. The two photos above were taken ...