Monday, February 5, 2024

Homestead Rescue

   


   Bill and I have become enthralled with a television series called "Homestead Rescue" in which a generations-experienced family of homesteaders travel throughout the U.S. assisting other families which are foundering in their attempts to live "off the grid." The first surprise to me was the ever-increasing numbers of people taking to the hinterlands in order to escape the frenetic life most of us live every day. Though it's very difficult to find statistics, every source I could find agreed that homesteading is increasing, and (not surprisingly) experienced a particular surge thanks to the Covid pandemic. These assumptions can be made in part on rising sales of solar power systems, chainsaws, portable sawmills, and undeveloped land. 

      After watching several seasons of the show, I can't help observing that there are four needs that recur in every episode, four things every family must have in order to survive-- water, food, shelter, and power. "That's obvious," you might immediately respond, but you would be amazed at how many of the well-intentioned folks on this show sell all accoutrements of their "civilized" lives and venture into varying degrees of wilderness without planning for some or all of these four necessities. From Alaska to Hawaii, the desert to the rainforest, they go on a dream of self-sufficiency, but have no idea how to achieve it. It may sound simple, but it's the farthest thing from easy! The Raneys, expert homesteaders, find shockingly horrible situations, and with amazing ingenuity based on their years of experience, provide these inept beginning homesteaders with water, power, food, and shelter, and most importantly the skills to maintain all of these. Their aim is to accomplish this with as little cost as possible, most often "upcycling" old unused objects from around the very land they are rescuing.

      Have you ever considered that our souls require the same four elements-- water,  power, food, and shelter? But how do we obtain those things for our souls? Never fear, dear Christian: our loving Savior who dwells with us, IN us, provides all those necessities and more! As He tells us Himself in His Word:

"Anyone who believes in me may come and drink! For the Scriptures declare, ‘Rivers of living water will flow from his heart.’”  (John 7:38 NLT)

"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." (2 Timothy 1:7 KJV)

"Then Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty."  (John 6:35 NIV)

"For You have been a shelter for me, A strong tower from the enemy." (Psalm 61:3 NKJV)

     I can't help thinking of the times my soul has felt dried up, thirsty for I knew not what, when all the while it was there within me, waiting to be tapped. Or hungry, starving for life-giving bread, when all I had to do was turn to the Bread of Life living in me. I'm sure you've felt powerless like I have, whether we'd like to admit it or not, possibly in the face of a great loss, or a life-threatening illness (yourself or a loved one) you had no idea how to cure. But I'm here to testify that within you (assuming you've repented of your sins and accepted the gift of Jesus' substitutionary sacrifice) is the Great Physician, who made you and knows everything about every cell in your body, and He has risen "with healing in His wings." (Malachi 4:2)

      Invariably, each head of each family on "Homestead Rescue" at some point during the show talks about feeling the obligation and desire to provide these necessities for the family. Just like they turn to the knowledgeable Raneys for instruction, we have at our fingertips God's Instruction Book, His Word, to guide us to all these necessities. My friend, the Head of our family has already provided for our souls all that we will ever need, and He is waiting to rescue the homestead of our hearts. I leave you with His comforting promises found in Psalm 27 (BSB):


The LORD is my light and my salvation—

whom shall I fear?

The LORD is the stronghold of my life—

whom shall I dread?

When the wicked came upon me to devour my flesh,

my enemies and foes stumbled and fell.

Though an army encamps around me,

my heart will not fear;

though a war breaks out against me,

I will keep my trust.

One thing I have asked of the LORD;

this is what I desire:

to dwell in the house of the LORD

all the days of my life,

to gaze on the beauty of the LORD

and seek Him in His temple.

For in the day of trouble

He will hide me in His shelter;

He will conceal me under the cover of His tent;

He will set me high upon a rock.

Then my head will be held high

above my enemies around me.

At His tabernacle I will offer sacrifices with shouts of joy;

I will sing and make music to the LORD.

Hear, O LORD, my voice when I call;

be merciful and answer me.

My heart said, “Seek His face.”

Your face, O LORD, I will seek.

Hide not Your face from me,

nor turn away Your servant in anger.

You have been my helper;

do not leave me or forsake me,

O God of my salvation.

Though my father and mother forsake me,

the LORD will receive me.

Teach me Your way, O LORD,

and lead me on a level path,

because of my oppressors.

Do not hand me over to the will of my foes,

for false witnesses rise up against me,

breathing out violence.

Still I am certain to see

the goodness of the LORD

in the land of the living.

Wait patiently for the LORD;

be strong and courageous.

Wait patiently for the LORD!



    "He must increase and I must decrease."

John 3:30
 ✝️
      





2 comments:

  1. YES HE IS ALL WE NEED! I am waiting patiently for HIS soon return!

    ReplyDelete

Seeds of Grace

      In twenty-seven years at this house, I've never planted either sunflowers or zinnias. The two photos above were taken ...