Thursday, October 27, 2022

Clinging

 

 

      Through a series of assorted and unimportant circumstances, the past few days have become a time of purging: jewelry from drawers, long forgotten items from closets. Just now I pulled out a beautiful long, fur-collared coat and its matching hat and gloves, and I began to weep. It wasn't the coat itself; it was the memory of special times I wore it, feeling elegant and joyful, full of life. The collar is now crushed, the fabric pilled, and the hat misshapen. Yet I find it difficult to let go of that coat, just like I find it difficult to release my desires to "live fully," enjoying earthly pleasures to the utmost. "Why," I ask myself, "when you are promised so much more when the things of this learth are passed away?" 

      In Bible study last night Pastor Kent reminded us that we struggle now with fleshly desires-- it is the human condition since Adam and Eve-- even though God has promised us that as soon as we give our lives and hearts to His Son Jesus we are no longer threatened by death. Jesus said, "Because I live, you also will live."  (John 14:19b NIV) Interestingly enough, I awoke this morning from a dream which left me smiling. I was in a tiny house that had just been given to me. It was old and a little bit dusty, but it was perfect in its simplicity. Everything in it made me so happy: several antique stoves (Cooking is my love language.), an old bed, and an old faded blue hooked rug like one I once had in a time and place where I was very happy. I woke up thinking, "If my mansion in heaven is just like that, I will be perfectly content!" Just remembering it now has erased my tears and brought back my smile!

      Months ago God gave me a picture which I've pondered from time to time, but now I think I understand it. I had asked Him to give me a vision of assurance that He is with me. Pastor Kent had preached an amazing series of messages on our Strong Tower ("For thou hast been a shelter for me, and a strong tower from the enemy." Psalm 61:3 KJV), but the image I saw was a wooden stockade. I briefly researched the meaning of the word and found that  historically a stockade could be either a prison or a fortress. I could see both in my life. I've often felt a prisoner of my circumstances, but I began to think about the stockade as a fortress, protecting me from the dangers of the outside world.

       I look now at that tiny green frog in the photo above, clinging to the strong logs of our house, and I determine to use him as a reminder to keep clinging to my Fortress, my Savior, instead of the corruptible things of this world! 

     "And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea. 
      And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
      And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God. 
      And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away. 
      And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new." 
(Revelation 21:1-5 KJV)


"He must increase and I must decrease."

John 3:30
 ✝️





  

6 comments:

  1. so sweet and well written love that tiny frog

    ReplyDelete
  2. All we need is THE LORD JESUS CHRIST HE WILL NEVER LEAVE US! Keep the prize in front of you and run with patience the race set before us. WE WIN! Love you mama

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes the Frog made me smile, my Dear Friend! The message is one that I needed to hear. Clinging to earthly 'things' is something I have a hard time dealing with, just fit them into
    any available space. Thank you for another powerful way to look at my collection and take the challenge to 'Just Deal and Heal'
    Thank you Dear Heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my friend, for your precious comment! Love & prayers!

      Delete

Seeds of Grace

      In twenty-seven years at this house, I've never planted either sunflowers or zinnias. The two photos above were taken ...