Friday, April 22, 2022

Hummingbird Wings

 
               Photo: wallpapercave.com

      Today a tiny hummingbird's appearance out my window lifted me right up out of my "chair of prayer" (which more often than I like to admit becomes a chair of self-pity). You see, I had been contemplating my bird feeder, recently emptied by audacious squirrels, thinking it was time to exchange it for the hummingbird feeder. But I had not acted on the urging, until I saw that hummingbird pause there and then move on. I exclaimed, "You remembered!" then popped out of my chair to head to the kitchen to make nectar, then outside to resurrect and clean cobwebs off the glass feeder. 
      I began contemplating how those delicate wings were actually so powerful. Specially constructed to enable them to hover, fly backwards, forward, sideways, and even do back flips to gather nectar among flowers, the amazing creature had also lifted my 125 pounds of dead weight without even touching me or knowing it had done so! 
      I wonder how often we touch someone, totally unbeknownst to ourselves. Is it for better or for worse? Could a smile in a grocery line or a happy tune hummed in a parking lot remind someone that they are loved and maybe things aren't so bad as they seem? Could a frown or a grumble spread discontent instead of joy? 
      That hummingbird was oblivious to me-- he was just going about his work. I think of people who lift me up just by going about their work for God's earthly kingdom. I don't tell them usually, so they're probably not aware, how much they inspire me daily. They all have challenges-- who doesn't? Just like the hummingbird, who must wait for me to fill the feeder, who each year patiently and determinedly travels miles as he migrates to and from Central or South America each Fall and Spring. I've only just learned that hummingbirds can't actually walk on those spindly legs-- they can only perch and scoot along the ground or a branch! Who knew these tiny marvels have a handicap just like we all do?
      For this overcoming spirit, hummingbirds have an inordinately large heart. Ah, who can be surprised by that really? Isn't it the heart, the courage of certain people that makes them overcomers in spite of obstacles great or small? Just the thought of it makes me smile this glorious Spring day! 

      "Haven't I commanded you: be strong and courageous? Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go."  [Joshua 1:9 CSB]
 
      "But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk and not faint." [Isaiah 40:31 KJV] 

"He must increase, and I must decrease."
✝️

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful and full of color,
    this tiny creation of God appears just as needed by God's
    other two legged children.
    We are blessed to be able to see God's creation and feel the thrill knowing Our Heavenly Father is watching from his
    Magnificent Throne.
    Thank you for another God Sighting.

    ReplyDelete

Seeds of Grace

      In twenty-seven years at this house, I've never planted either sunflowers or zinnias. The two photos above were taken ...