Wednesday, December 9, 2020

Seeking the Light

     



       I woke up this morning sensing it: this beam of Light coming down from Heaven. Yes, I've been in a dark place-- haven't we all? Aren't we all looking for a bright spot in this season-- putting up Christmas lights and taking our drives through lit-up neighborhoods earlier than ever before? Quickly I realized, "Hanukkah must be coming soon!" so I looked it up, just in time it seems, because tomorrow night, December 10 at sundown, is the beginning of this year's Festival of Lights. Years ago I purchased a menorah, when I became startlingly aware of the deep Jewish roots of my Christian faith. For a few years I faithfully lit it, and then I would forget until the Feast was over, so it's been a while. But this year I'm getting out my menorah (and hoping my candles haven't melted), because if there's anything we need right now, it's more light.

      Did you know Jesus, like every good Jew, celebrated the Festival of Lights, also called "Feast of Dedication"? It's right there in John 10: 22-23:

"Then the Festival of Dedication took place in Jerusalem, and it was winter. Jesus was walking in the temple in Solomon's colonnade."  (CSB)

      This is, in fact, one of the several places where Jesus declares Himself to be the Jewish Messiah, as the narrative continues in Verses 24-30:

"The Jews surrounded him and asked, 'How long are you going to keep us in suspense? If you are the Messiah, tell us plainly.'  'I did tell you and you don't believe,' Jesus answered them. 'The works that I do in my Father's name testify about me. But you don't believe me because you are not of my sheep. My sheep hear my voice, I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, Who has given them to me, is greater than all. No one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand. I and the Father are One.'"

      How appropriate that the Light of the World declare Himself at the Festival of Lights! Why do Christians no longer celebrate this feast? I suppose because most of us are not of Jewish heritage, and yet we must never forget that we are "grafted in."  (Romans 11:19) So why not celebrate the Feast of Lights with our Jewish brothers and sisters as we prepare to welcome the Light of the World this Advent season? Heaven knows we need more Light right now!

NOTE: You can read more about the Festival of Dedication (Lights), or Hanukkah, here: https://jewsforjesus.org/publications/newsletter/newsletter-dec-1998/jesus-celebration-of-hanukkah

And here is a Jewish Rabbi beautifully explaining our connection to it (20-minute video): https://youtu.be/CrHwv46K2tM


      CHAG CHANUKAH SAMEACH! (HAPPY HANUKKAH!)


 "He must increase, but I must decrease"  (John 3:30)


2 comments:

  1. Love this blog. While I was married to Ed (Jewish) we both celebrated each others Religious customs. And I got to
    celebrate many on Miami Beach.
    Thank you for bringing this very enlightening time back to
    me. Happy Hanukkah

    ReplyDelete

Seeds of Grace

      In twenty-seven years at this house, I've never planted either sunflowers or zinnias. The two photos above were taken ...