Thursday, December 26, 2019

Hard -- Soft

         
         "Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle
 at heart, and you will find rest for your souls."  (Jesus, in Matthew 11:29)


      Let's face it: according to the world's standards, it's usually more acceptable to be tough than tender, strong than weak, hard than soft. Movies about superheroes, commercials about winners, songs about the strong surviving all encourage us to strive for strength or toughness.

      It occurs to me that all my efforts all my life to "toughen up" have been futile. How much time and energy have I wasted trying to be something I'm not? For I am, to be perfectly honest, a fragile, tender soul looking around at others whom I perceive to be so much stronger than I, but truth be told are probably more like me than not. Admit it: I bet most of you, like me, are your own worst critic! If I see the world as unfriendly and prickly, then who am I to say others do not feel the same way?  I have a friend who says, "Let me do nice things for you as much as I want; just don't be nice to me!" Why? Because she's afraid of "coming apart" and finds it extremely difficult to accept kindness from others. 

      Why are we SO hard on ourselves? Maybe Heaven will be the ultimate "soft place to fall" where we all just cuddle up to our gentle Savior and "rest." This Christmas was another extraordinary lesson in grace (See October 4 entry "Coincidence -- God's Incidence"). God seems to be speaking to me about receiving tenderness, not just giving it. 




    
    Pictured above are four Christmas presents I received this year from special people in my life who are truly "gifted gifters"-- you know what I mean-- people who just seem to choose gifts exactly suited to who you really are. A, who is hot-natured, is very conscious of my cold nature, especially when I visit her house. She chose for me the softest, cuddliest sweater to keep me warm through the winter months, indoors or out, or even in her house! K picked a robe of fabric as soft as a whisper and covered with hearts, "to remind you that you are wrapped in love," she said. And daughter Lisa, whom I've always dubbed World's Best Gifter, sent pajamas and a lap blanket as velvety as a cloud, both of which have been swaddling me since Christmas morning! 

      I'm cherishing these gifts as another clear reminder from God that it's okay to accept "charity"-- that is, LOVE-- when it is so freely given. After all, isn't that what Christmas IS? It's also perfectly okay to be "soft," especially since that's the way God made us!  As He promised, "I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh." (Ezekiel 36:26 NIV) 

       My friend J closes her emails with "Gentle hugs," demonstrating understanding that always makes me smile. And so, dear reader, whoever you are, wherever you are, I pray you'll accept from me this Christmas some "Gentle hugs" yourself, because who doesn't need that gift! 💕
      

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for such beautiful thoughts on such a beautiful time. 🤗

    ReplyDelete

Seeds of Grace

      In twenty-seven years at this house, I've never planted either sunflowers or zinnias. The two photos above were taken ...