Saturday, December 7, 2019

Dead -- NOT!



      I know -- this amaryllis looks kind of pitiful right now. But you should have seen it two weeks ago: take away all the green, focus on that dried up bulb that isn't very appealing, and you'll have what I saw when I pulled it out of the closet. I truly almost threw it out, but decided it wouldn't hurt to give it some water and see what happened. Not more than three days had passed after the watering when I looked, amazed, and saw a tiny touch of green! So I kept watering. We'll see if a lovely bloom follows-- I promise I'll keep you posted!

      This morning I belatedly began my Advent reading of Ann Voskamp's The Greatest Gift. In the introduction she speaks of the root of Jesse (David's father)-- the family tree, if you will, of Jesus Christ. So why does my apparently dried-up bulb make me think of our Savior's lineage? Listen to the prophet Isaiah: "There shall come forth a Rod from the stem of Jesse, and a branch shall grow out of His roots.... And in that day there shall be a Root of Jesse, Who shall stand as a Banner to the people, for the Gentiles shall seek Him, and His resting place shall be glorious." (Isaiah 1, 10 NKJV) You see, at the time of Jesus' birth the Davidic line of kings had pretty much dissolved, and Israel was under Roman rule. Jews, however, still kept strict genealogical records, and Jesus' genealogy tracing back to David's is recorded in both Matthew and Luke. Matthew's account is believed to be through Joseph, his earthly "father," while Luke's is through Mary, his mother. This ancestry was necessary to fulfill numerous Old Testament prophecies:

      Isaiah prophesied, "For a child will be born for us, a son will be given to us, and the government will be on his shoulders. He will be named Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace.... He will reign on the throne of David...." (Isaiah 9:6, 7b CSB). Micah 5:2 (CSB) tells us, "Bethlehem Ephrathah, you are small among the clans of Judah; One will come from you to be ruler over Israel for me. His origin is from antiquity, from ancient times."  Prophecy even precludes Messiah being born after the destruction of the Temple in 70 A.D., since all Jewish genealogy records were lost at that time. And all the way back in Genesis 49:10 (NKJV) in Jacob's last words we read, "The scepter shall not depart from Judah, nor a lawgiver from between his feet, until Shiloh [another word for "Messiah"] come." 

      As stunning as is Jesus' undeniable fulfillment of at least 44 very specific Old Testament prophecies, it takes my breath away to realize that the Bible assures me that I have been "grafted in" to this Holy Branch! I urge you to read all of Romans, Chapter 9, and rejoice with me especially over the truth of Verse 19: "Branches were broken off so that I might be grafted in." (CSB) 

      Thank You, God, for the assurance that one day, though my body will shrivel and die, like my amaryllis there is a Life in me that will remain vibrant and grow ever more beautiful as I enter my eternal home with You! And all because You came in the form of that tiny baby to lie in a manger in the humble village of Bethlehem. 


🕇

      

No comments:

Post a Comment

Seeds of Grace

      In twenty-seven years at this house, I've never planted either sunflowers or zinnias. The two photos above were taken ...