Friday, November 1, 2019

Time -- Eternity

      I woke up at 3:00 this morning thinking about a beautiful cantata my college choir sang -- Mary Caldwell's "Of Time and Eternity." I don't remember much of it, except that the opening lyrics echoed Ecclesiastes 3:1 -- "There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens:"  

      Perhaps this music came to mind because yesterday I celebrated and grieved the birthday of a precious friend who went to her heavenly reward much too soon and suddenly for those of us who loved her. Nearly two years after her passing, I have just now been able to bring myself to watch the videos of her memorial services. I have tears, because I still miss my friend, who was like a twin soul almost from the moment I met her. But a word kept coming up in her remembrances: peace. And my heart has an indescribable peace now, because of the messages I've just heard.


      Most of her friends, family, and pastors spoke in one way or another of Jackie's assurance of eternal life in the presence of God her Father and Jesus her Savior. In both of the services a video was played of her testimony at the Moody Church, where she worshiped and worked. As her sister put it, Jackie "shone" because of the Light of the World Who was in her, and this Light beamed on anyone who crossed her path. Her brother, who had spoken with her the day before her passing, pointed out that we never know when might be the last time we see or speak to a loved one.


      I don't believe it was an accident (See "Coincidence -- God's Incidence") that I first met Jackie in Israel. I remember how we both wept as Jerusalem's hills came into view, while "The Holy City" played through the speakers on the bus. We always talked about going back there together some day. That won't happen now in our earthly bodies; but oh, how glorious will be our return together to the Holy City with our Wonderful Savior, King Jesus, in all His glory!


      " For the Lord Himself will descend from Heaven with a shout, with the archangel's voice, and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are still alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we will always be with the Lord."  (I Thessalonians 4:16-17 CSB)


      "Blessed are those who wash their robes, so that they may have the right to the tree of life and may enter the city by the gates.... I, Jesus, have sent my angel to attest these things to you for the churches. I am the root and descendant of David, the bright morning star."  (Revelation 22:14, 16 CSB) 


     *You can watch Jackie's testimony at Moody Church here:

                       A Life Changed

      

1 comment:

  1. Two sisters in Christ to be reunited in heaven. Thank you Jesus!

    ReplyDelete

Seeds of Grace

      In twenty-seven years at this house, I've never planted either sunflowers or zinnias. The two photos above were taken ...